Plataneras resistentes al frio

Tema en 'Plátano - Platanero - Banana - Bananero' comenzado por Jalon, 9/9/04.

1. Jalon

Jalon

¿Alguien ha cultivado plataneras resistentes al frio, tipo Orinoco o Mysore, ..., en Europa, fuera de las Canarias y la costa andaluza subtropical :interrogacion: ? Me refiero a plataneras frutales, no a las ornamentales, muy resistentes al frio, como la Basjoo.
    :bailando: ¡Quiero ser el primer productor de plátanos -no para vender, sólo para hacer rabiar a algunos :twisted: - en Cantabria.! :bailando:
    ¿Sabeis como conseguirlas?
    A quien me informe le voto como mister o mis 2º universario u lo que sea. :floramarilla:

2. De la siguiente página web :
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/bobbybanana/index.html

te pego esta información sobre Orinoco, como verás se trata de un alemán que lo ha intentado. Él tiene que saber como conseguir la planta. Si tienes algún problema para comunicarte con él por el inglés me ofrezco a hacerte de enlace. Lo mismo si no puedes leer la información te extraigo lo más importante a castellano.

Saludos.

"
    One of the hardiest fruit bananas with Rajapuri, which should have survived according of U. S. givings -16°F in Texas, it's a cultivar from the U.S.A. with edible fruits, is cultivated in California, Florida, Texas and other U. S. states at the gulf coast. But there are reports from successfully outdoor cultivation with winter protection in North Carolina and South Carolina. the name "Orinoco" comes from Cuba and refers to the use possiblities as plantain and dessert banana. In the unripen status the fruits are used as plantains and in the fully ripen status as dessert bananas (of at all if the fruits are harvested directly harvested from the tree). The variety has green leaves and a strong trunk, is essential wind toleranter than Musa basjoo, will grow to 27 feet tall under the best conditions, will stay probably smaller in our area because ever freezing back. One amazing hardiness of leaves in the comparison to other fruit bananas is confirmed there, at least from 30°F the leaves does freeze.

This variety is hardy to USDA 7, but first experiences in Belgium are discouraged, young plants haven't survived 10°F throughfrozen in an unheated greenhouse. Perhaps older plants are less tender and essential hardier, but the frost may not run to the corms. That the variety already should have survived -16°F in Texas, it is due to this, that there are no permafrost periods of weeks with deep frozen ground but only single night with deep air temperatures and at the same time with no deep frozen ground. This is the difference! Therefore it's necessary to mulch Orinoco much thicker as Musa basjoo, so like the already above mentioned other conditional fruit banana varieties, eventually with heating cables in the ground. First outplanting tests in Germany proceeded partly discouraging and encouraging partly. My plant didn't survive the winter 2001/02 despite the good winter protectio. You should outplant only mature specimens, which have already a partly wooded corm with suckers and are at least 7 feet tall. But one Dwarf Orinoco, one dwarf variety of Orinoco (grows only 6 to 8 feet tall, like the favorite Canary Banana Dwarf Cavendish) with only 20 litres bark mulch in Bückeburg near Hannover in Germany at 4°F minimum temperature in winter 2001/02 and came back in the following spring, but also some weakly, the plant was killed to the ground. If you want to harvest fruits, you should prefer Dwarf Orinoco and dig the plant up in fall, overwinter frostfree and completely dry at 40°F, so use the wire bag method, in spring it will be outplanted again and will resprout from the pseudotrunk with the chance to flower and fruit in our area.
    "

Saludos.

3. Jalon

Jalon

Gracias ldelrio, por tu información y tu ofrecimiento. :palmas:
    Es muy posible que las consiguiesen de Gran Bretaña, donde las han tenido los años pasados. De todas formas, se les ha dado mal, pero están en unas condiciones muy extremas. Yo estoy hablando de Cantabria, a 15 km de la costa, 50 m de altura, solana, protegido de los vientos del norte y "gallego", donde no hiela o lo hace muy raramente (hace dos años el termómetro de mínimas me dio +1,7ºC como mínima anual absoluta). Ellos plantean casi 5º C (40ºF), pero hay otras referencias que dicen que es mas tolerante.
    :17nuse: ¿NADIE LOS HA CULTIVADO EN ESPAÑA? :17nuse:

4. Jalon

Jalon

Me subo ... :relojarena: